Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability to seek or maintain an erection strong enough to have sex. It is sometimes referred to as impotence, although this term is now used less often.
Having erection problems from time to time is not necessarily a cause for concern. However, although male erectile dysfunction can be a lifelong problem, it can cause stress, affect your self-esteem, and contribute to relationship problems.
However, frequent male erectile dysfunction is often a symbol of health problems that require treatment. Sometimes people will have trouble seeing their penis harden or stay still. However, male erectile dysfunction (ED) is usually only a priority if satisfactory sexual performance is consistently impossible.
Causes of Male Erectile Dysfunction
The major causes may differ between age groups. The causes of male erectile dysfunction are often roughly divided as follows:
- Psychological problems such as depression, anxiety, or stress
- Underlying health problems like diabetes or disorder
- Medication like antiandrogens, appetite suppressants, and antidepressants
- Trauma thanks to injury or surgery
- Lifestyle factors like lack of exercise or addictions like smoking
Symptoms of Erectile Dysfunction
Symptoms of male erectile dysfunction can vary from person to person. If you’ve got male erectile dysfunction you can:
- Not having an erection in the least
- Sometimes having an erection
- Difficulty maintaining an erection long enough to possess sex
- Lack of concupiscence
How Male Erectile Dysfunction (ED) Diagnosed
Since there is a spread of causes of male erectile dysfunction, your doctor may use several tests to diagnose the condition and determine its cause.
Procedures for diagnosing erectile dysfunction may include the following:
- The patient’s medical or sexual history: This will reveal conditions or diseases that cause impotence and help distinguish between problems with erection, ejaculation, orgasm, or concupiscence.
- Physical examination: To seem for evidence of systemic problems, like the following:
- A drag within the systema nervosum could also be involved if the penis doesn’t respond needless to say to certain contacts.
- Secondary sex characteristics, like hairiness, may indicate hormonal problems involving the system.
- Circulatory problems can also be indicated by an aneurysm.
- The unusual characteristics of the penis itself might suggest the idea of impotence.
- Laboratory test: These may include an entire blood count, urinalysis, lipid profile, and measurements of creatinine and liver enzymes. Measurement of testosterone within the blood is usually wiped out in men with male erectile dysfunction, especially with a history of decreased libido or diabetes.
- Psychosocial examination: This is often done to assist reveal psychological factors which will affect performance. The sexual partner can also be interviewed to address the expectations and perceptions encountered during sex.
Risk Factors for Male Erectile Dysfunction
Erectile dysfunction is additionally a symbol that accompanies many ailments and diseases.
Direct risk factors for male erectile dysfunction may include the following:
- Prostate problems
- Type 2 diabetes
- Vascular disease and vascular surgery
- High levels of cholesterol within the blood
- Low levels of HDL (high-density lipoproteins)
- Chronic sleep disorders (obstructive apnea, insomnia)
- Alcohol use
- Lack of sexual knowledge
- Bad sexual techniques
Treatments for Male Erectile Dysfunction
Depending on the cause and severity of your male erectile dysfunction and any underlying health issues, you’ll have different treatment options.
- Sildenafil (Viagra): This medicine is best when taken on an empty stomach one hour before intercourse. It’s effective for four to 5 hours or more if you’ve got mild to moderate male erectile dysfunction.
- Vardenafil (Levitra, Staxyn): This medication is additionally best when taken an hour before sex and maybe crazy or without food. A meal that’s high in fat can prevent it from being absorbed faster. Vardenafil works for four to 5 hours or more if you’ve got mild to moderate male erectile dysfunction. a replacement sort of medicine that dissolves on the tongue may go faster than the pill you’re taking.
- Tadalafil (Cialis): This medicine is crazy or without food about an hour or two before sex. It’s effective for up to 36 hours. It is often taken in small daily doses or in larger doses as required.
- Avanafil (Stendra): This medication is crazy or without food half-hour before intercourse, counting on the dose. It lasts up to 6 hours.
- Place the pump, which may be hand-pumped or battery-powered, on the penis.
- Pump the air out of the cylinder to make a vacuum. The vacuum sucks blood into the shaft of the penis and causes it to swell and erect.
- Once the penis is erect, using the lubricant, slide the fixation band over the lower end of the penis.
- Remove the pump.
The band is often safely left in situ for up to a half-hour to permit for successful intercourse.
Penile implant surgery may be a procedure that helps men with male erectile dysfunction who haven’t skilled other sorts of treatment.
One-piece systems use flexible or semi-rigid cylinders. Some describe flexibility as that of a gooseneck lamp. This implant is rigid enough for sex but flexible enough to be easily hidden in clothing.
Advantages: cheaper sort of installation, fewer mechanical parts susceptible to failure
The two-part cylinders contain cylinders and a pump. The pump is hidden in your scrotum. Pumping fills the cylinders with fluid to offer you an erection. Bending the penis allows fluid to be due to the cylinders in order that the penis can become flabby.
Advantages: excellent rigidity; it’s not necessary to put any part within the pelvis or abdomen
Three-part implants are the foremost commonly used devices. They contain a pair of cylinders within the penis, a pump placed inside the scrotum near the testes, and a reservoir of saline. By pressing the pump into the scrotum, the saline travels through the cylinders, creating a stiff erection that feels natural.
Implants stay inflated for as long as you would like, even after orgasm. When you’re ready, press a deflation button on the pump that returns the penis to a flabby and soft state.
Advantages: excellent rigidity and flaccidity; full control over erection; Antibiotic coatings are available
Alprostadil may be a medicine that men deem male erectile dysfunction (erectile dysfunction). It’s only available by prescription.
This drug causes the blood vessels to expand. This increases blood flow throughout the body, including the penis, which helps men with male erectile dysfunction get an erection.
Penile injections can usually be self-administered reception. they assist cure male erectile dysfunction by improving blood flow to the penis, which results in firmer erections.
While the thought of injecting a needle into your penis may cause you to shiver, one study found that penile injection therapy is usually an efficient and well-tolerated treatment for male erectile dysfunction.